
CAPE TOWN – A Hout Bay school is facing strong backlash after sending out a letter threatening to prevent children from writing their exams if they did not wear “proper shoes.” The letter, which was issued by the acting principal and chairperson of the school governing body, has sparked outrage among parents, political parties, and educators, prompting an official retraction and apology. The letter, dated November 14, named seven students and stated, “Please take note of the following learners… must have proper school shoes before exams begin. If not, the learner will not be allowed to write exams.” This message, which was circulated on social media over the weekend, quickly caught the attention of various stakeholders, including Brett Herron of the GOOD Party, who described the letter as “cruel and humiliating.” Herron questioned how such a decision could be allowed, saying that the letter “contravenes the principles of equal access to education.” He further criticized the school for what he called a “bullying and unconstitutional” approach to enforcing its uniform policy, particularly at a school located in Hangberg, a historically disadvantaged community.
“The chairperson of the Sentinel Primary governing body was willing to co-sign a bullying and unconstitutional letter,” Herron said. “This is an indication that stronger oversight is needed to curb the autonomy of school governing bodies that oppose universal access to education.” The letter comes from a non-fee-paying school situated in an economically depressed area, which was originally developed to accommodate workers in the fishing industry. This background has prompted further concerns about the accessibility of education for marginalized communities. In response to the controversy, the Western Cape Education Department confirmed that it was aware of the situation. A department spokesperson, Bronagh Hammond, stated that the letter had been retracted and that an apology had been issued to the affected families. “While learners must adhere to the uniform policy in the school’s code of conduct, they cannot be prevented from participating in classroom activities, examinations, and assessments based on non-compliance with uniform requirements,” Hammond explained.
Sibongile Kwazi, provincial secretary of the South African Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu), also condemned the actions of the school, calling them morally and ethically wrong. “It is unacceptable to exclude learners from exams based on something as trivial as their shoes, particularly when many poorer learners struggle to maintain uniforms in good condition by the end of the school year,” Kwazi said. “For some learners, this could have meant the end of their education.” The issue also raises broader concerns about the state of education in South Africa, especially in poorer communities where families may struggle to afford school uniforms. Kwazi emphasized that, according to the South African Schools Act, no learner should be denied the right to education due to financial constraints, including the inability to wear prescribed school shoes. As the situation continues to unfold, the Western Cape Education Department is planning a meeting with the affected parents to address the matter and ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future.
The controversy has also sparked a wider conversation about the role of school governing bodies in enforcing uniform policies, and whether these policies are being applied in a way that is both fair and in line with the country’s constitutional principles of equality and access to education.
Lt.Gen Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi to face ‘young boys’ linked to 11 murders, caught in viral video flashing firearms

DURBAN – A group of young boys, allegedly seen flashing firearms in a viral video filmed at a KwaMashu hostel in Durban, has been arrested by KwaZulu-Natal police. The boys, whose actions were captured on social media and sparked public outrage, were detained in Mandeni with firearms in their possession. According to police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda, the video, which circulated a few weeks ago, showed the boys recklessly brandishing guns and firing randomly at the KwaMashu hostel. Following an investigation by the KwaMashu Serious and Violent Crime detectives, the suspects were positively linked to multiple violent crimes across the area. Over the past week, authorities revealed that the suspects are believed to be involved in 11 murder cases, 8 attempted murders, three hijackings, two truck hijackings, as well as two house robberies and two armed robberies. These crimes occurred in various locations around KwaMashu, with hijackings reportedly taking place along the Dumisani Makhaye Highway.
“These individuals are linked to a series of violent incidents that have caused distress in the community,” Netshiunda said. “Our investigations have shown that these suspects were responsible for a wide range of criminal activities.” The group is set to make their first appearance at the Ntuzuma Magistrate’s Court, where they will face charges related to their alleged involvement in these crimes. KwaZulu-Natal’s SAPS Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, is expected to attend the court proceedings. This arrest follows a previous incident in August, when five men were arrested for firing shots at a KwaMashu hostel. At that time, police indicated they were searching for additional suspects involved in similar crimes. In that operation, officers seized three firearms and a hijacked vehicle, further underscoring the dangerous and violent nature of the group. The recent arrests in Mandeni bring some relief to local communities, who have expressed growing concern over the escalation of gang violence and criminal activity in KwaMashu. Authorities have vowed to continue their efforts to dismantle violent crime syndicates operating in the region.
The police have also called for community cooperation in fighting crime and urged anyone with information to come forward to help ensure that those responsible for violent acts are brought to justice.