
The 48-year-old man raped the child at Ha Matsa village, according to Limpopo provincial police spokesperson, Colonel Malesela Ledwaba. Trouble started for Chauke when the mother of the child saw him giving the little girl money. The curious mother enquired what the R20 was for, and the girl spilled the beans. “The court heard that on December 7, 2021, the victim’s mother witnessed the accused, who was a family friend, giving her child money, R20, and then she asked the victim what was the money for,” said Ledwaba. “The victim informed the mother that the money provided was for silencing her, not to tell anyone that the accused raped her on December 5, 2021 at Matsa village.” After receiving the news, the mother wasted no time and reported the incident to police that same day.
The police opened a case of rape, and the docket was transferred to Makhado family violence, child protection and sexual offences unit, and Warrant Officer Samuel Thovhakale was tasked with the investigation. Ledwaba added that hospital experts confirmed that the little girl had been sexually assaulted. Chauke was traced by police and arrested on December 16, 2021. Meanwhile, provincial commissioner of police in Limpopo, Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe has welcomed the sentence imposed on Chauke. She saluted the investigating officer, Warrant Officer Thovhakale, for ensuring that Chauke got the life sentence for the “horrendous” crime. “This sentence serves to send a stern message that our courts will not spare those who commit acts of brutality against children,” said Hadebe.
Last week, IOL reported that the Phalaborwa Regional Court in Limpopo has sentenced a 38-year-old Bangladeshi rapist to life imprisonment for molesting a minor victim. The rape incident occurred under the Namakgale policing area on May 8, 2022. “The court noted that at about 11am, a 10-year-old girl was sent to the nearest supermarket by her grandmother to purchase household items. The victim found a 38-year-old shop owner who closed and locked the door when she was about to leave the premises after buying the items,” Ledwaba said at the time. The court heard that Hossain Akiet grabbed the little girl and forcefully dragged her to a room at the back of the building. He then raped the child in the room.
‘Rats as big as cats’: City of Joburg’s Pikitup unveils plans to tackle poor waste management amid food poisoning deaths
The City of Johannesburg’s waste management service provider, Pikitup, has announced a new initiative to tackle poor waste management in townships and informal settlements, following the tragic deaths of children due to food poisoning. The initiative aims to prevent further incidents linked to pest infestations, which have led to the use of hazardous pesticides such as Terbufos and Aldicarb, resulting in fatalities. The programme was announced after a spate of food poisoning cases in Gauteng, including the deaths of six children in Naledi, Soweto, who consumed toxic snacks purchased from an unregistered spaza shop. President Cyril Ramaphosa, during his address last week, expressed concern about the rise in food-borne illnesses, which have claimed 22 lives across the country since September. Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal were identified as the most affected provinces, with Limpopo, Free State, and Mpumalanga also recording several cases.
The deaths in Naledi were linked to a highly toxic chemical pesticide, Terbufos, which was found in the snacks. This pesticide, a highly hazardous organophosphate, is legally registered for agricultural use in South Africa but is banned for household use. Ramaphosa also highlighted the ongoing use of Aldicarb, which has been banned since 2016, as a dangerous pesticide in the community, exacerbating the crisis. “The use of these hazardous chemicals is a direct consequence of poor waste management, which results in pest infestations,” said Ramaphosa. “Communities in areas like Soweto and Alexandra, where waste management remains inadequate, often resort to these dangerous, cheap pesticides to control rats.” Residents in these areas have raised concerns about ongoing waste management challenges. Alexandra resident Matildah Tselana described severe rat infestations caused by poor waste collection in her community. “Rats here are as big as cats, they are destroying our belongings, including food and clothes. In the past years, young children have died after being attacked by rats,” Tselana said.
Pikitup’s response includes the implementation of several key programmes aimed at improving waste collection and management across the city. According to City of Johannesburg spokesperson Nthatisi Modingoane, these programmes will focus on clearing illegal dumping sites, particularly in hotspot areas, and increasing litter picking and street sweeping in densely populated locations like the Inner City. “We are also rolling out public awareness campaigns to educate residents on the importance of maintaining clean environments and managing waste properly,” Modingoane said. In the wake of these tragic incidents, President Ramaphosa has introduced measures to curb food poisoning incidents, including the 21-day registration of businesses, the closure of businesses implicated in food-related illnesses, and intensified food inspections in the affected provinces.
The City of Johannesburg is now under pressure to ensure that effective waste management practices are implemented, to prevent further tragedies and improve living conditions in its townships and informal settlements.