IN TUNES WITH THE FUTRE...NOW!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam.

TWO WOMEN MISSING FOLLOWING GAUTENG FARM ATTACK

Two women from Gauteng have been reported missing following a violent farm attack that occurred late Friday night, October 25, 2024, on Caymen Road near the Eye of Africa estate, approximately 20 minutes south of Johannesburg. According to Mike Bolhuis from Specialised Security Services (SSS), the attack is believed to have taken place between 10 PM and the early hours of Saturday morning. Suspects reportedly gained entry by cutting through the perimeter fence and breaking the security gate at the property. Once inside, the attackers ransacked the house and stole two vehicles. Bolhuis confirmed that one of the stolen vehicles was recovered in Thokoza on Saturday morning.

However, a metallic green Isuzu double cab LDV, with the registration number CB01WRGP, remains missing. Bolhuis expressed concern, stating, “We suspect that the two women have been taken by the suspects. “The missing individuals have been identified as Hester Fleming, 52, and Cecilia Johanna Fleming, 82. As of now, there have been no ransom demands or communications from the suspects or the victims. The South African Police Service (SAPS) has been contacted for further comment on the investigation. In the meantime, anyone with information about the case is urged to contact Bolhuis at 082 447 6116 or via email at mike@mikebolhuis.co.za. In a separate missing person case, police are also searching for Jacob Mare and his nine-year-old daughter, Yaleen, from Mossel Bay, who were last seen on October 14, 2024. Authorities are investigating the possibility that they may have left the country.

Fraud-accused Michael Lomas reserves his right to apply for bail

South African Michael Lomas, the former Eskom contractor arrested in connection with a staggering R1.4 billion fraud scheme, has reserved his right to a bail application for the time being and will remain in custody. Lomas made his fourth appearance at the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday morning after being extradited from the UK in September 2024. The Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) announced that the case has been transferred to the Johannesburg High Court, with proceedings set to resume on December 3, 2024.

Lomas is one of 13 individuals implicated in the case. IDAC spokesperson Henry Mamothame confirmed that Lomas has been served with the indictment, which includes 65 counts of corruption linked to funds intended for the upgrade of Eskom’s Kusile power station in Mpumalanga between 2014 and 2017. Previously, Lomas was arrested on April 15, 2021, in London, where he was granted bail of £100,000 (approximately R1.7 million) and provided an additional surety of £250,000 (about R4.3 million). He fled South Africa while on bail and was subsequently placed on Interpol’s most wanted list. In a related extradition case, Ace Magashule’s personal assistant, Moroadi Cholota, recently returned to South Africa from the US, facing charges related to the R255 million Free State asbestos scandal from 2014. As the case against Lomas unfolds, the IDAC continues its efforts to address corruption within South Africa’s power utility sector.

Dangerous illegal pesticide killed all six Soweto children, says Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi

Dangerous pesticides have been confirmed as the cause of death for six children in Naledi, Soweto, according to Minister of Health Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi. In a press briefing, Motsoaledi revealed that toxicology results from post-mortem analyses indicate the children died from ingestion of terbufos, an organophosphate pesticide commonly used in agriculture. “We informed you that samples were taken for toxicology analysis, and we can now state unequivocally that the cause of death is organophosphate,” Motsoaledi said. “Initially, we believed it was organophosphate based on symptoms, and our findings have confirmed this.” Motsoaledi explained that organophosphates encompass a group of chemicals, with terbufos identified in this case.

While various substances had been suggested as potential causes of death, including carbamates, the toxicology tests have clarified that organophosphates are far more lethal and can cause irreversible damage. Recent investigations led to the identification of several chemicals in spaza shops around Soweto, where authorities are conducting tests to determine any links to the toxic substances responsible for the children’s deaths. Notably, a packet of chips found in one child’s pocket was tested and showed no traces of the organophosphate that caused the fatalities. In a related development, four individuals were arrested last week at a Joburg mall for possession of aldicarb, another type of carbamate pesticide.

However, aldicarb has been ruled out as the toxin involved in the tragic incident, as it does not match the chemical that led to the children’s deaths. Authorities continue to investigate potential connections between the spaza shops and the source of the deadly pesticide. The recent deaths have heightened scrutiny on food safety and chemical use in South Africa, prompting the deployment of a team of experts to identify the chemical agent linked to a series of food poisoning incidents in the region. Motsoaledi emphasized the urgency of the situation, calling for heightened awareness and stricter regulation of pesticide use to prevent further tragedies.